Summer is a hassle. I don’t like being stuck inside during long, sunny afternoons when it’s just too hot to run, and I don’t like risking dehydration or heat stroke when I go camping. But once the temperature drops in the fall, those sunny afternoons are mine again—and now, so is the gear.
REI is one of our favorite retailers here at WIRED, and every autumn the company throws its End of Season sale, which is the best time to grab all the sweet gear you’ve been eying all summer. We combed through thousands of deals to bring you our favorite picks.
Note: When you buy something using the retail links in our stories, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Read more about how this works.
Noso Gear Repair Kits Are 30% Off
You really don’t have to throw out old puffer jackets, sleeping bags, or tents just because you accidentally sat too close to the fire and burned a hole in them. Noso patch kits are an easy, fun, and attractive way to make a quick and durable repair—even on the trail. If you’re at home, slap on a star and toss your jacket in the dryer; if you’re on the trail, the heat of the sun will also activate the adhesive.
Buy the Noso Puffy Patch Lil’ Bits Gear Repair Kit for $7 ($3 off)
Camping and Climbing Deals
- Good To-Go New England Clam Chowder for $5 ($2 off): I recommended Good To-Go’s gourmet, dehydrated meals in last summer’s off-the-grid gear roundup.
- Hydro Flask 32 oz Growler for $33 ($12 off): People normally use growlers to transport beer, but I also like them for bringing water for my family on day trips, so I don’t have to carry three or four separate water bottles.
- Gibbon Slackline Balancing Set with Tree Pads for $86 ($29 off): This Gibbon ratchet slackline set includes Treewear pads for tree protection. Slacklining is similar to walking a tightrope. You can set it up between two trees.
- REI Co-Op Workload Pack for $36 ($54 off): This day pack has a lot of technical features, like an expandable front stuff pocket, compression straps, and a padded top handle.
- REI Co-Op Force of Nature Discovery Box for $35 ($15 off): I don’t normally recommend product boxes, but every item in REI’s Force of Nature box—from a trucker hat, to coffee and snacks—came from a company founded, owned, or led by a woman.
- Kammok Roo Double Hammock Bundle for $75 ($33 off): This double hammock weighs 18 ounces and can hold an astonishing 500 pounds.
social experiment by Livio Acerbo #greengroundit #wired https://www.wired.com/story/rei-end-of-season-sale-2019